The 3-parts diesel-electric DMU’s Plan U from the NS (Dutch Railways) were built between 1960 and 1963 by Werkspoor in Utrecht. They got the numbes from 111 up to 152. Initially the Plan U were painted red, which gave them the nickname “Rode Duivel” (in english: red devils).
A Plan U unit consists of three cars :
- the motorcar (mBDk)
- the central car (B)
- the steering car (ABk).
The motorcar is equipped with a 1000 HP diesel motor with a maximum speed of 125 km/hr.
From 1968 the Plan U were painted in the new yellow NS house style.
The last Plan U units were taken out of service in December 2003.
Four Plan U units have been in service by the private operator Syntus from 1999 up to 2002. Another six units were in service for NoordNed from 2001 up to 2002.
Invalid Displayed Gallery