The 3-parts diesel-electric DMU’s Plan U from the NS (Dutch Railways) were built between 1960 and 1963 by Werkspoor in Utrecht. They got the numbes from 111 up to 152. Initially the Plan U were painted red, which gave them the nickname “Rode Duivel” (in english: red devils).
A Plan U unit consists of three cars :
- the motorcar (mBDk)
- the central car (B)
- the steering car (ABk).
The motorcar is equipped with a 1000 HP diesel motor with a maximum speed of 125 km/hr.
From 1968 the Plan U were painted in the new yellow NS house style.
The last Plan U units were taken out of service in December 2003.
Four Plan U units have been in service by the private operator Syntus from 1999 up to 2002. Another six units were in service for NoordNed from 2001 up to 2002.